Table of Contents
- Must-Visit Attractions and Landmarks in Gretna, LA
- Beautiful Parks and Gardens in Gretna, LA
- Highly Rated Restaurants and Cafes in Gretna, LA
- Traditional Local Cuisine and Street Food in Gretna, LA
- Top Hotels and Accommodations in Gretna, LA
- Best Shopping Destinations and Souvenirs in Gretna, LA
- Popular Nightlife and Entertainment Spots in Gretna, LA
- Exciting Outdoor Activities and Adventures in Gretna, LA
- Wellness and Relaxation Centers in Gretna, LA
- Convenient Transportation Options in Gretna, LA
- Unique Cultural Experiences and Events in Gretna, LA
- Kid-Friendly Activities and Attractions in Gretna, LA
Welcome to Gretna, Louisiana!
Get ready to discover the hidden gems of this charming city, located just across the Mississippi River from New Orleans. From historic landmarks to delicious cuisine, Gretna has something for everyone.
One of the must-visit spots in Gretna is Tân Định restaurant, located at 1705 Lafayette Street. This family-owned Vietnamese restaurant serves up delicious pho, banh mi, and other traditional dishes in a cozy atmosphere. With a 4.6 rating on Google and over 600 reviews, it’s clear that locals and visitors alike love Tân Định.
If you’re in the mood for something a little different, head to Zea Rotisserie & Bar at 1121 Manhattan Boulevard in nearby Harvey. This casual restaurant serves up delicious rotisserie chicken, seafood, and more, all with a New Orleans twist. With a 4.4 rating on Google and over 1,100 reviews, it’s clear that Zea is a local favorite.
Try the crawfish étouffée at Tân Định – it’s a local favorite!
Don’t miss the happy hour specials at Zea – they’re a great deal!
Did You Know?
Gretna is home to the Gretna Heritage Festival, a three-day celebration of music, food, and culture that takes place every October.
The Gretna Ferry, which crosses the Mississippi River to New Orleans, has been in operation since 1827.
Must-Visit Attractions and Landmarks
No visit to Gretna is complete without exploring the nearby city of New Orleans, known for its vibrant culture and rich history. One of the top attractions in the city is the Mardi Gras World museum, located at 1380 Port of New Orleans Place. This museum offers a behind-the-scenes look at the elaborate floats and costumes used in the famous Mardi Gras parades.
Visitors can take a guided tour of the facility, watch artists at work, and even try on some of the costumes. With a rating of 4.4 stars and over 4,000 reviews, this museum is a must-visit attraction for anyone interested in the history and culture of New Orleans.
Book your tickets online in advance to skip the lines and get the best deals. Don’t forget to bring a camera to capture all the colorful and intricate details of the floats and costumes.
Did You Know?
The first Mardi Gras parade in New Orleans was held in 1837, and the tradition has continued every year since then, except during wartime.
Highly Rated Restaurants and Cafes
If you’re looking for delicious food and drinks in Gretna, you won’t be disappointed with the selection of highly rated restaurants and cafes. From Vietnamese cuisine to American classics, there’s something for everyone.
One of the top-rated restaurants in Gretna is Tân Định, which serves authentic Vietnamese cuisine. Located at 1705 Lafayette Street, this restaurant has a 4.6 rating on Google with over 600 reviews. Customers rave about the pho, banh mi, and spring rolls. Be sure to try their signature dish, the shaking beef.
If you’re in the mood for American cuisine, head over to Zea Rotisserie & Bar located at 1121 Manhattan Boulevard in Harvey. With a 4.4 rating on Google and over 1,100 reviews, this restaurant is a local favorite. Their menu features a variety of rotisserie meats, seafood, and salads. Don’t forget to try their famous Thai ribs.
For a cozy atmosphere and delicious coffee, check out Common Grounds Coffee House & Cafe located at 335 Huey P Long Avenue in Gretna. This cafe has a 4.4 rating on Google with over 500 reviews. They offer a variety of coffee drinks, teas, and pastries. It’s the perfect spot to relax and catch up with friends.
- Be sure to check the hours of operation for each restaurant and cafe before visiting.
- Reservations are recommended for Tân Định and Zea Rotisserie & Bar.
Try the shaking beef at Tân Định for a unique and flavorful dish.
At Zea Rotisserie & Bar, order the Thai ribs for a sweet and spicy treat.
Common Grounds Coffee House & Cafe offers a variety of vegan and gluten-free options.
Did You Know?
Tân Định is named after a district in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
Zea Rotisserie & Bar has won multiple awards for their food and drinks, including Best Burger in New Orleans by Gambit Weekly.
Common Grounds Coffee House & Cafe hosts live music events on weekends.
Local Cuisine and Street Food
Gretna, LA is known for its unique blend of Cajun and Creole cuisine, as well as its vibrant street food scene. From traditional seafood dishes to innovative fusion cuisine, there’s something for every palate in this foodie paradise.
For an authentic taste of Vietnam, head to Tân Định restaurant. This family-owned establishment serves up delicious pho, banh mi, and other Vietnamese specialties. Don’t miss the crispy spring rolls and the refreshing iced coffee.
For a taste of Thailand, check out Banana Blossom Thai Restaurant. This cozy spot serves up classic dishes like pad thai and green curry, as well as more adventurous options like crispy duck and pineapple fried rice. Be sure to try the refreshing Thai iced tea.
For a more upscale dining experience, head to Zea Rotisserie & Bar. This restaurant specializes in rotisserie chicken, but also offers a variety of other dishes like seafood gumbo and shrimp and grits. Don’t miss the signature Thai ribs, which are marinated in a sweet and spicy sauce.
For a refreshing drink, head to New Orleans Original Daiquiris. This bar serves up a variety of frozen daiquiris in flavors like strawberry, mango, and piña colada. Be sure to try the signature 190 Octane, which is made with orange and pineapple juices and a generous pour of rum.
For a cozy spot to grab a coffee or a bite to eat, check out Common Grounds Coffee House & Cafe. This local favorite serves up delicious coffee drinks, as well as sandwiches, salads, and pastries. Don’t miss the house-made quiche, which is always a hit.
For the best street food in Gretna, head to the Gretna Farmers Market on Saturday mornings. You’ll find a variety of vendors selling everything from fresh produce to hot tamales.
Did You Know?
The muffuletta sandwich, a New Orleans classic, was invented in 1906 by Salvatore Lupo, the owner of Central Grocery in the French Quarter.
Shop ’til You Drop in Gretna
Gretna is a shopper’s paradise, with a variety of stores and boutiques to explore. From big-name retailers to local shops, there’s something for everyone. Here are some of the top shopping destinations in the area:
Barnes & Noble
If you’re a book lover, Barnes & Noble is a must-visit destination. Located at 1601B Westbank Expressway in nearby Harvey, this store has a wide selection of books, magazines, and other reading materials. You can also find toys, games, and other gifts here. With a 4.6-star rating and over 1000 reviews, it’s clear that this store is a favorite among locals and visitors alike.
- Be sure to check out their events calendar for author signings, book clubs, and other fun activities.
Bring a reusable bag to carry your purchases and reduce waste.
Did You Know?
Barnes & Noble was founded in 1873 and is now the largest retail bookseller in the United States.
Nightlife and Entertainment
When the sun goes down, Gretna comes alive with a variety of bars and entertainment options to choose from. Whether you’re looking for a laid-back atmosphere or a lively party scene, there’s something for everyone.
If you’re in the mood for a refreshing drink, head over to New Orleans Original Daiquiris bar. This local favorite serves up delicious frozen drinks in a variety of flavors, perfect for cooling off on a hot summer night. With a 4.4-star rating and over 500 reviews, it’s clear that this spot is a hit with both locals and visitors alike.
If you’re looking for a unique dining and drinking experience, check out Banana Blossom Thai Restaurant bar. This spot serves up delicious Thai cuisine and creative cocktails in a cozy, intimate setting. With a 4.7-star rating and over 600 reviews, it’s clear that this spot is a hit with both foodies and cocktail enthusiasts.
If you’re in the mood for a lively party scene, head over to The Tchoup Yard in nearby New Orleans. This outdoor bar and event space features live music, food trucks, and a rotating selection of craft beers. With a 4.4-star rating and over 700 reviews, it’s clear that this spot is a hit with both locals and visitors alike.
- For a more laid-back atmosphere, check out the Gretna Depot Bar and Grill. This cozy spot serves up pub fare and cold drinks in a historic train depot building.
- If you’re a fan of craft cocktails, head over to Bar Tonique in New Orleans. This speakeasy-style bar features a rotating selection of creative cocktails made with fresh, local ingredients.
- For a unique experience, check out the Carousel Bar and Lounge in New Orleans. This historic bar features a rotating carousel seating area, perfect for sipping a classic cocktail while taking in the sights and sounds of the French Quarter.
Many bars in the area offer happy hour specials, so be sure to check their websites or social media pages for the latest deals.
If you’re planning on visiting a popular spot, arrive early to beat the crowds and secure a good spot.
Did You Know?
The Carousel Bar and Lounge was a favorite hangout spot of famous writers such as Ernest Hemingway and Tennessee Williams.
New Orleans Original Daiquiris bar has been serving up frozen drinks since 1983 and now has multiple locations throughout the area.
Cultural Experiences and Events
Gretna, LA is a melting pot of cultures, and there’s no better way to experience that than through its cultural events and establishments.
One of the most popular cultural attractions in the area is the Mardi Gras World museum located in New Orleans. This museum offers a behind-the-scenes look at the making of Mardi Gras floats and costumes. Visitors can take a guided tour of the facility and learn about the history and traditions of Mardi Gras in Louisiana. With a rating of 4.4 stars and over 4,389 reviews, this is a must-visit destination for anyone interested in the cultural significance of Mardi Gras.
For foodies looking for a cultural experience, the Banana Blossom Thai Restaurant in Gretna is a must-visit destination. With a rating of 4.7 stars and over 696 reviews, this restaurant offers authentic Thai cuisine in a cozy and welcoming atmosphere. The menu features a variety of dishes, including pad Thai, curries, and stir-fries, all made with fresh ingredients and traditional Thai spices.
For those looking for a cultural experience in nightlife, The Tchoup Yard in New Orleans is a great option. With a rating of 4.4 stars and over 745 reviews, this bar offers a unique atmosphere with a large outdoor patio and a variety of local beers on tap. The Tchoup Yard also hosts a variety of cultural events, including live music, art shows, and food pop-ups.
Check out local event calendars for cultural festivals and events happening in the area.
Did You Know?
New Orleans is known for its unique cuisine, which is a blend of French, Spanish, African, and Native American influences.
Kid-Friendly Activities and Attractions
If you’re looking for fun and family-friendly activities in Gretna, you won’t be disappointed. Here are some of the top attractions that kids will love:
One of the most popular attractions in the area is the Mardi Gras World museum. Located in nearby New Orleans, this museum offers a behind-the-scenes look at the famous Mardi Gras celebration. Kids will love seeing the colorful floats and costumes up close, and learning about the history and traditions of this festive event.
Other kid-friendly activities in the area include:
The Playmakers Theater, located in nearby Covington, offers a variety of family-friendly productions throughout the year. From classic fairy tales to modern musicals, there’s something for everyone at this charming theater.
For a more active adventure, check out the laser tag arena in nearby Metairie. Kids will love running around and competing against each other in this high-energy game.
- Take a stroll through the Audubon Zoo, home to over 2,000 animals from around the world.
- Visit the Louisiana Children’s Museum, where kids can learn through interactive exhibits and hands-on activities.
- Explore the Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve, which offers hiking trails, canoeing, and educational programs for kids.
Check the websites of each attraction for hours of operation and ticket prices before you go.
Consider purchasing a CityPASS or other discount ticket package to save money on multiple attractions.
Did You Know?
The Mardi Gras celebration dates back to medieval Europe, and was brought to Louisiana by French settlers in the 1700s.
The Audubon Zoo is home to a rare white alligator named Snowball, who has been a popular attraction for over 20 years.
Gretna, LA may be a small town, but it is full of hidden gems and local culture that are waiting to be explored. From the vibrant Tân Định neighborhood to the mouth-watering dishes at Banana Blossom Thai Restaurant, there is something for everyone in this charming town.
Take a stroll through the Barnes & Noble bookstore or grab a cup of coffee at Common Grounds Coffee House & Cafe. For a taste of New Orleans, head over to Mardi Gras World and indulge in a daiquiri from New Orleans Original Daiquiris.
End your day at The Tchoup Yard, a local favorite for its laid-back atmosphere and live music. With so much to see and do, Gretna, LA is the perfect destination for travelers looking to experience the authentic side of Louisiana.
Visit during Mardi Gras season to experience the town’s lively celebrations and parades.
Did You Know?
Gretna, LA was named after the Scottish village of Gretna Green, a popular destination for eloping couples in the 18th and 19th centuries.
Gretna, LA Itinerary
Experience the best of Gretna, LA in this 3-day itinerary filled with exciting activities, delicious food, and unique local experiences. Discover the charm of this historic city through its parks, restaurants, and shopping centers.
Day 1: Arrival and Exploration
Begin your Gretna adventure by settling into your accommodation and exploring the local area. Enjoy a mix of delicious food, coffee, and leisure activities.
- Arrival and Check-in – Settle into your accommodation and prepare for your Gretna adventure.
- Breakfast at – Start your day with a delicious Vietnamese breakfast at Tân Định, located at 1705 Lafayette Street. Enjoy their famous pho or try one of their other tasty dishes.
- Visit Barnes & Noble – Spend a relaxing afternoon browsing books and magazines at this popular bookstore located at 1601B Westbank Expressway, Harvey.
- Common Grounds Coffee – Take a break and enjoy a cup of coffee at this cozy local coffee shop.
- Dinner at – End your day with a delicious meal at this popular restaurant located at 1121 Manhattan Boulevard, Harvey. Savor their signature rotisserie dishes and enjoy a refreshing cocktail.
Day 2: Outdoor Adventures and Shopping
Experience the natural beauty of Gretna with a visit to its parks and enjoy some retail therapy at the local shopping centers.
- Breakfast at Common Grounds Coffee – Start your day with a hearty breakfast and a cup of coffee at this local favorite.
- Visit Gretna City Park – Spend a relaxing morning strolling through this beautiful park, taking in the scenery and enjoying the fresh air.
- Lunch at Tân Định – Refuel with a delicious Vietnamese lunch at this popular Gretna eatery.
- Shopping at Oakwood Center – Indulge in some retail therapy at this popular shopping center, featuring a variety of stores and boutiques.
- Dinner at Zea Rotisserie & Bar – Return to this popular restaurant for another delicious meal and unwind with a refreshing cocktail.
Day 3: History and Culture
Discover the rich history and culture of Gretna with a visit to its museums and historic sites.
- Breakfast at Common Grounds Coffee – Enjoy your final breakfast in Gretna at this cozy coffee shop.
- Visit Gretna Historical Society Museum – Immerse yourself in the history of Gretna with a visit to this fascinating museum, featuring exhibits on the city’s past and its people.
- Lunch at Tân Định – Savor one last delicious Vietnamese meal at this popular Gretna restaurant.
- Explore Gretna Heritage Festival – Depending on the time of year, you may be able to experience this annual event celebrating the city’s rich history and culture.
- Farewell Dinner at Zea Rotisserie & Bar – Enjoy a final meal at this popular restaurant, reminiscing about your Gretna adventure over delicious food and drinks.